|Sep 6, 2018
Program Manager (Application Manager)IOSS 078
Location: PITC (Philadelphia, PA)
LABOR CATEGORY DESCRIPTION: Program Manager
Experience with diverse IT projects both large and small. Must be able to manage a portfolio of projects. Must be well versed in full systems development life cycle, enterprise wide network engineering, strategic information planning, business process reengineering, structure and management practices. Must be able to identify and mitigate risks to the program. Must be able to manage to cost, schedule and performance.
The Application Manager provides leadership for application sustainment tasks, such as, but not limited to:
• Performs Sustainment Budget Management provides reports monthly to Program Manager
• Monitors labor hours and provides reports monthly to Program Manager
• Assist Program Manager with Intakes as required
• Works with Build Managers/Team Leads/Project Managers/Program Managers
• Coordinates resources and schedules activities for deployments
• Monitors activities during deployments, reports progress, coordinates corrective actions and escalates as needed during the implementation process
• Assist in Assessment and Authorization (A&A) services
• Review and update COOP/Disaster Recover (DR) if required
• Manages Service Desk Manager (SDM) Tickets
• SME (subject matter expert) for assigned applications, possessing a working knowledge of navigation and functionality.
• Know application, infrastructure, and security architecture; able to converse fluently with architects, technical teams, and product development.
• Monitor and analyze application performance, capacity, reliability, and stability metrics. Conduct advance planning to continually meet Customer’s contract requirements and EO standards.
• Own application outage events. Create and manage the ANR process, ensuring accuracy and completeness. Perform root cause analysis of application outages and create timely remediation plans. Publish availability reports.
• Represent the application/customer at the EO Operations Planning meetings, assessing change impact, performing risk mitigation, and organizing communication plans. Serve as the application’s POC (primary point-of-contact), facilitating and coordinating customer requirements, integration efforts, and other actions as required.
• Represent the Customer/application and EO requirements during IPTs, release management/operational readiness reviews, and other work sessions, such as planning and budgeting.
• Serving in a matrix team environment, actively and effectively manage relationships with customers, build and release managers, technical teams, product development, project managers, and other application managers.
• Plan and manage changes and other deployment activities for assigned applications.
• Perform product acceptance/operational readiness, owning the go/no go decision. Ensure that an approved plan is in-place with assigned ownership and schedule to resolve non-compliance issues.
• Proactively manage server certificates. Maintain and publish a plan that identifies and tracks tasks, schedule, and ownership.
• Prepare and maintain a roadmap to ensure each application is operating with a sustainable infrastructure, to include:
o Lifecycle for database, operating system, server, java, .Net framework, etc.
o Integration with product development business and PMAS plan
o Compliance with VA’s TRM (technical reference model)
• Proactively work with Product Development, Service Desk, and other teams, ensuring that the USD knowledge base contains accurate and current lessons learned and “how to” information.
• Accountable for:
o Ensuring backup policy is compliant with requirements. Conducts quarterly reviews of performance to actual, publish results.
o POA&Ms are resolved and responded to as required.
o Approval of application access requests. Conducts access reviews in compliance with VA policy, including the closing of expired accounts.
o Ensuring accuracy of USD and mail group memberships.
o Timely corrective actions where non-compliance exists.
• Operating on the basis of no surprises, ensure that your chain of command is apprised of:
o Outages, root cause analysis, and remediation plans
o Risks and issues (in advance of a crisis)
o Customer satisfaction
o Lifecycle plans
o Application metrics, trends, and actions
• A designated back-up must be trained and capable of performing during periods of absence. The incumbent must ensure his/her back-up is current on issues and activities.
• Manages product lifecycle and release management activities; coordinating with technical teams, customers, and Product Development.
• Performs troubleshooting, maintenance and configuration changes in accordance with approved change order policies within the region as it relates to Business Systems Technology, which includes hardware, operating systems and databases.
• Creates and maintains documentation on interfaces and critical device technology to include configuration standards, as-built diagrams and historical and trending information. Creates and manages budgets for multiple applications. Develops budget forecasts and performs re-baseline activities.
• Support stakeholders on an as needed basis relevant to Technical Reference Model (TRM) interface and device activities and related technologies. Plans and executes product upgrades to remain compliant with VA requirements.
• Manage product sustainment and support projects. Performs project management duties. May participate as an ad hoc team or project leader with others in a virtual environmental, accountable to the division chief.
• Coordinate operational personnel, identifies their needs and capabilities, and translates them into standards specifications. Formulates and conducts or participates in study projects to recommend standards solutions to complex architect and systems engineering requirements.
• Translate policies, objectives, and guidance from higher authority into guidance for staff; issues balanced workload and resource guidance for development of operating projects; reviews proposed projects and takes necessary action to bring individual projects into proper alignment.
• Performs Risk Management for the assigned application(s) / product portfolio. Identify risks and execute mitigation strategies.
• Ensure application security posture is maintained through implementation of security mandates, policies/directives, initiatives, processes, and work plans.
• Review proposals for change which consist of objectives, scope, and users' expectations. Develops and represents “Red Flags”; providing support and project escalations, to Senior OIT Leadership (SES).
• Recommend action plans, convincing Leadership of priorities and the need to act. Resolves complex technical issues; applying non-technical language and business terminology.
• Participate in a variety of Service Line-, Regional-, cross-Regional-, and nationwide work groups. Evaluates, develops, and recommends modification/approval on assigned area of standards. Prepares studies and other papers in assigned area and briefs a wide range of audiences that include top management.
• Maintains current and detailed knowledge of information processing standards development and implementation projects throughout the agency, and commercial standards developments and practices.
• Organizes and leads High Priority Incident triage calls for system outages. Organizes and leads customers, technical teams, Product Development, and other resources as required
• Creates and maintains documentation on support of system applications. Performs troubleshooting and maintenance in accordance with system application support policies and change control policies in the region.
• Provides reporting and trend analysis regarding the support of system applications to the Division Chief or Service Line Manager.
• Provides support to stakeholders on an as needed basis relevant to system application support activities.
• Provide training to stakeholders on an as needed basis relevant to the use of system applications.
• Provides reporting on current system application patch levels and requirements to the Division Chief, and/or Service Line Manager.
• Coordinates with operational personnel, identifies their needs and capabilities, and translates them into standards specifications. Formulates and conducts or participates in study projects to recommend standards solutions to complex architect and systems engineering requirements.
• Serves as a leading catalyst for insuring that all business processes and practices are efficient and integrated.
• Performs in-depth analyses of various approaches, including consideration of technical matters; costs; compatibility with existing business, administrative, engineer and scientist management information systems; implementation requirements and delivery schedules; risks involved in use of newly developed technologies; and security implications.
• Assists in the development of integrated Service Line-wide transition strategies, plans, and action plans to ensure that key agency standards are implemented in support of agreed upon information architectures.
Experience implementing, upgrading, enhancing and supporting Oracle eBusiness Suite R12/R13 applications.
Proven ability gathering, translating and documentation business requirements, creating functional/technical designs, test plans, models and results, support, resolve and implement solutions to customer issues/needs.
• 15 years senior-level experience
• Engineering, Computer Science, scientific, technical discipline,
• Master’s Degree or 10 additional years of experience in lieu of degree