|Jun 28, 2017
Release / Build Manager
Location: Austin, TX
Duration : 1-2 years
US Citizen – Clearable to Public Trust
MUST HAVE EXPERIENCE:
• BS with 10 years of experience. 8 years of
additional relevant experience may be substituted for
• Management of individual releases of software,
hardware or other system components.
• Coordinating with QA, Development, packaging and
• Documenting releases, risks and in maintaining
the schedule of planned releases.
• Working knowledge of the products used to monitor
and measure application and infrastructure performance
• Ensures that all components of product, and
infrastructure maintenance are organized and deployed in
a controlled manner enabling a repeatable process.
• Manage the release and deployment process and
interface with Change Management.
• Build Management activities include assisting in
the design and implementation of formal procedures,
including checks and balances throughout the process.
• Identifies and mitigates risk to ensure the
integrity and recoverability of the production
• Ensure the CMDB is current, accurate and complete
for all data elements of assigned applications.
• Provide planning, coordination, and communication
ensuring the successful deployment of software, and
• Install only approved and tested product
versions, when required.
• Review and verify the accuracy and reliability of
back out instructions.
• Work with the Application Manager to communicate
the impact of maintenance to all stakeholders.
• Assist in troubleshooting problems associated
with the planned maintenance in a release.
• Keep the currency, accuracy, completeness, and
timely close-out of change orders, service requests, and
incident reports, verification of all data storage back-
ups for assigned applications
• Completion of server worksheets, storage request
forms, firewall spreadsheets, and other artifacts
required by internal SDE EO teams.
• Maintain recorded labor hours associated with
change orders, service requests, incident reports, and
activity codes that accurately reflect the work performed
for assigned applications.
• Serve in a project management capacity for
internal-facing maintenance - CRISP patching, load
balancer upgrades, server builds and modifications,
storage allocations, firewall changes Plan for systems
implementation and continual improvement.
• Keep the hardware inventory and software versions
tracked and recorded in the CMDB.
• Proactively ensure that the CMDB is current,
accurate, and complete for assigned applications.
• Conduct monthly audits of the CMDB and take
immediate corrective action as required when deviations
or missing data is found.
• Provide monthly documentation to the Application
and Program Managers on findings and actions.
• Plan and manage maintenance and other deployment
activities for assigned applications following release,
configuration, and project management requirements, and
applying Information Technology Infrastructure Library
(ITIL) processes according to SDE EO policies and
• Manage the build processes and assist in the
management of the change and release processes using SDE
EO’s work management tool.
• Provide support to the Application Manager(s) to
monitor and analyze application performance, capacity,
reliability, and stability metrics.
• Take immediate corrective action to mitigate
application performance issues identified by multiple
sources, and develop plans for resolution.
• Proactively engage in root cause analysis and
• Proactively ensure that the Knowledge Management
database contains accurate and current lessons learned
and “how to” information.
• Comply with VA security and privacy policies and
directives, and CRISP
• Serve as backup to the Application or Project
• Experience with Primavera application
• Experience with JAVA and Oracle
• Experience with CA Service Desk Manager
• Self-motivated and assertive
• Ability to set priorities and adapt to changes in
a quick and professional manner.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills;
• Ability to interact with internal and external
stakeholders at every level
• Ability to use discretion when handling
• Strong analytical, reasoning and problem solving